H-DAV NDMC EPHI

Findings of a Nutrition Survey Awassa Zuria Woreda, Sidama Zone, SNNPR, 2005


Description
Id EPHI-DS0291
Name Findings of a Nutrition Survey Awassa Zuria Woreda, Sidama Zone, SNNPR, 2005
Format . SAV
Coverage Location Zonal
Coverage Sex Both
Abstract

This survey was conducted in SNNP Region, Sidama Zone,  Awasa zuria Woreda by Goal Ethiopia among selected clusters among children aged 6 and 59 months. The objective of this survey was to estimate the prevalence of acute and chronic malnutrition, examine the current health status of the survey population by considering mortality and morbidity rates and child vitamin A supplementation and vaccination status, and assess the food security situation among children aged 6 to 59 months. The findings of this survey revealed that;

  1. A total of 4.6 % of them were classified as global acute malnutrition (GAM), which includes 0.5 % of children with severe acute malnutrition (SAM). The crude mortality rate and under-five mortality rate were estimated at 0.17 and 0.5 deaths/10,000/day respectively.
  2. About 18.3 % of the children suffered from diarrhea, 24.8 % from cough, and 20.2% from fever. The percentage of children vaccinated against measles, TB (BCG), and who received vitamin A in the last 6 months were 58.0 %, 48.4 %, and 41.8 % of the respondents respectively.  
  3. Regarding food security level; 46% of households are currently reliant on maize, 74.7% of households are currently reliant on their own production, and 24.7% of households are purchasing their main source of food. Their coping strategies in the last 3 months were 14.3% of households had sold livestock to purchase grain, 0.7% of households sold personal assets, all of the households were eating two or more meals a day, and none of the households had consumed unusual food.
  4. Regarding access to water 53.7% of household’s main water source was unprotected, and 6% of households had to walk over one hour one way to collect water at the time of the survey.  In addition, 6.7% of households given the meal priority given to young children at mealtime, and 40.0% % of communities agreed that they had to travel over one hour one way to the nearest health facility. 3.3 %, 6.7%, and 73.3% households responded that there was below-average pasture condition, water availability for livestock was below average, and reported livestock in good condition respectively. On the other hand, 26.7% of households reported livestock in very good condition, and 73.3% of households reported livestock in good condition.
Additional Material No
Keywords
  • Nutrition
  • malnutrition
  • acute malnutrition
  • vaccination
  • measles
  • TB
  • water
  • survey
  • Arbaminch Zuria Woreda
  • Gamogofa Zone
  • SNNP region
Recommended Yes
Location
Cleaned Yes
Cleaned Format . csdb
RawFormat . csdb
Comment
Remark
Note
Treatment
Date Data Collection Started 2005-09-03
Date Data Collection End 2005-09-07
Title Findings of a Nutrition Survey Awassa Zuria Woreda, Sidama Zone, SNNPR, 2005
Data Type Survey
PublicationYear 2005
SugestedCitation

no

OtherIdType
Description

This data set on the nutrition survey conducted by Goal Ethiopia using a two-stage cluster sampling approach in Awassa Zuria Woreda of Sidama Zone SNNP Region among 965 children aged 6-59 months conducted between September 3 to September 7, 2005. The data set captures information on the prevalence of global acute malnutrition or nutritional status, morbidity status, health-seeking condition,  child vaccination, and supplementation includes vaccinated against measles, TB, and Vitamin A supplementation, Household Characteristics includes the condition of food security, accessibility to water, and community discussion which includes the level of access to health facilities, condition of the pasture, availability of water for livestock, and the condition of livestock. Generally, the objective of the survey was to estimate the prevalence of acute and chronic malnutrition, examine the current health status of the survey population by considering mortality and morbidity rates and child vitamin A supplementation and vaccination status, and to assess the food security situation among children aged 6 to 59 months (65-<110cm in height).

Dataset study design Cross-sectional survey
Date Data Archived 2021-07-10
Date Data Cataloged 2021-07-18
Data Generating Unit NGO
URL https://rtds.ephi.gov.et/public/showdetail/291

Tags
Published

Open Access